BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Weekly Assignment: "Ghetto Lighting"

"Ghetto Lighting". Chances are you've used this concept before even if you weren't aware of it. In this assignment you need to use artificial lighting you have on hand: a flashlight, a desk lamp, living room lamp, etc. No strobes, flash or "Professional" lighting or full sunlight. This idea came from an assignment on DPS, one that I did not enter, but really wanted to explore. I know that none of us have studios, or really the extra money to spend on thousands of dollars worth of studio lighting equipment. This is a way for us to keep those creative juices flowing. Try different things, props, people, lighting. Whatever you can find to make your picture look the way you want it. Please mention what type of light you used.


This is my example of the Ghetto Lighting assignment. This was taken with a hand held large mag-lite. I held it above and to the far left of the flower. As you can see, it isnt a real flower. I could have photoshopped out all of the imperfections, softened it and made it look real. But, I wanted to show all of the details in this. So you can see that even a flashlight can give you great detail. I did do a touch of PP on it. not much though. Just a white balance adjustment and some levels to tone down the background a little more. Other than that, it is as is.
Camera: Nikon D40X
Date: 2009-06-06
SS: 1/25
f/s: f/5.6
ISO: 400
Focal Length: 200
No Flash
I cant wait to see what you guys come up with. Also, if we can, I would like for us to start posting our exif data from the shot when we post. That way we can all see how you did it in camera, if we want to give it a try, all the info will be there. If you are unsure of what all of those numbers and such up there mean, or you need to know how to find it just ask. I am more than happy to help. Good Luck!

0 Hits: